From: Gmail - Kevin, Natalia, Stacey & Rochelle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [Repeater-Builder] Diamond X510 Failure
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wednesday, November 12, 2008, 4:31 AM

HI All,

After 15 years of faithful service our Diamond X510 dual-band RX antenna has
failed.
We started getting some noise and poor signal input to the 2mtr repeater. We
had decided to check the 2x X510 antennas (1x TX and 1x RX).
A couple of weeks ago the TX was checked and found to still be in fairly good
condition, we did however solder the crimp joints.
Today we pulled the top antenna down which runs the 2mtr RX and the 70cm
repeater.
Once we opened the antenna we found that it had come apart just above the
bottom joint, and the very top of the element was split. Now we know why the RX
had turned bad.
No recovery for this antenna.
We want to replace it with something that can be used for the 2mtr and 70cm
repeaters. So far other then the antenna dual-band antennas there is nothing to
replace it with from a commercial type.
But maybe there is something that could be used?
There is a thought that maybe due to the lenght of the antenna and the winds we
get up on the hill this has added to the damage. We are thinking to replace it
with a Diamond X300 dual-band, a third shorter and a little less gain.

Any thoughts on a replacement would be helpful, I will pass it onto the other
trustees.

Regards and Thanks for reading this email.

Kevin, ZL1KFM.
Owner/Trustee.