-----Original Message-----
From: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Paul Plack
Sent: Saturday, November 22, 2008 10:53 PM
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] Need SWR meter recommendation

Albert,

I've had friends joke about MFJ standing for "mighty fine junk," but I have
nothing but good things to say about my MFJ 259 antenna analyzer.

If you're building antennas, the MFJ 259 (HF/VHF) or 269 (HF/VHF/UHF) are
really handy. If you're trying to find the resonant frequency or set up a
gamma match, they'll save a ton of time compared to an SWR
bridge/transmitter combination, and give you more information, such as
resistance and reactance displayed separately on the LCD. It also serves as
a counter and, in a pinch, as a (not-very-stable and somewhat microphonic)
signal generator.

But remember the limitations. You can't transmit through them, so they can't
be used to monitor the behavior of an antenna under operating conditions.
They can't be used to measure a transmitter's output power like most SWR
bridges. They're also prone to error in any environment where strong
external signals from nearby transmitters overwhelm the test signal
internally generated by the analyzer, which results in a false reading of
reflected power.

I would recommend these little boxes to anyone, but do have one major
complaint - the internal battery scheme. The thing takes 10 AA cells, they
don't last long, and you have to remove several screws and the case to
change them. You have to be really careful how you transport the 259,
because the power button sticks out where any bump will turn it on, and run
your batteries down.

After having the power bumped on during storage and a resulting leak of the
alkalines after they ran down, I cleaned it up (no permanent damage) and
just don't put batteries in mine any more. I use it on the AC adapter, a
cigarette lighter cord, or an external battery pack, all plugged into the
15V input.

But I won't be without one!

73,
Paul, AE4KR