Bryan, I can recommend the NHRC-4 controller for the service you want to
implement.  I'm not sure but I think the ICS-Basic you mentioned is a repeater
controller that does not have the second port to control your link.

I have built up 3 of the NHRC-4 controller kits and used them in two port
service where the main port controls a repeater and the second port controls a
simplex radio on another band and can recommend them for this type of service.
They were easy to build, and the later control system is very easy to set up
using the zone type of control groupings.  I ordered the remaining parts from
Digikey for my controllers, and the suggested part numbers in the manual work
out fine.  With a well stocked junk box, you may have a lot of the parts.  I
did not have to order a single resistor or bypass capicator for my kits.

You could probably get started using the existing VHF radio, and if it proves
to have too much coverage you could change the radio.  When working with hand
held radios you may find that the extra power is useful even when the handhelds
can't talk back to the simplex port.  Being able to copy EMCOMMS even when you
can't talk back can be of some use.

Finding the correct interface for the radios to the controller can be a pain,
but can usually be accomplished.  The NHRC controller can handle receive audio
that is already equalized, or can equalize the audio from the receiver
discriminator inside the controller.  Same with the receive audio from the VHF
simplex radio.

73 - Jim  W5ZIT