I've had DMMs also go nuts at my site too. Luckily the Astron supply hasn't had
that problem yet.

The fuse usually blows when something catastrophic happens. One such thing is
when the output voltage goes too high and the built-in SCR crowbar fires. It
shorts the supply immediately, and the excess current usually causes the fuse
to blow. Sometimes it also causes the diodes to short out, and they end up
blowing the fuse. RF getting back into the supply can trip the SCR. Even RF
riding on the supply lines can cause the voltage that the SCR sees to be high
enough to trip it, even though it may not show up with a meter or even a scope.
You've probably done all you can with the ferrites unless you missed the wires
going to the SCR. On some supplies it's mounted to the chassis and has fairly
long wires (just waiting to pick up RF) running to it.

You'd be better off with ANY kind of unregulated power supply, such as what you
had with the MICOR supply. Ferro-resonant transformers usually aren't
susceptible to such RF problems, and there's nothing electronic such as a
crowbar inside to trip and blow the fuse. This doesn't explain why your MICOR
supply blew its fuse, unless you exceeded the output current capability. Most
MICORs were only rated up to 100 watts, and the supplies probably are good to
25-30 amps MAX; it seems that your PA is already exceeding that. Then you tack
on a receiver, exciter, etc, and you've gone past the limit for the MICOR
supply. Even an MSF5000 supply would be strained to handle that much current;
that's why the bigger stations have TWO supplies, one for each PA, and the VHF
stations have 28V supplies in them.

Solutions? You might consider a battery and a charger that's strong enough to
keep the PA happy, to run just the PA. Split everything else off and run that
on another smaller supply. Consider a switching regulator supply, rather than a
linear regulator supply, to run the rest of the equipment.

I know that some of the high power amps are now being built to run on 24-28VDC.
This cuts the current consumption in half and they can be run with switching
supplies.

Let's hope Skip comes aboard here. I know he's had experience with these units.

Bob M.
======