I have had good results with wd40 and a toothbrush. If it is supper bad
those small wire brushes from harbor freight may be used.

-Kevin

  _____

From: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:repeater-buil...@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Scott
Sent: Monday, December 22, 2008 12:21 AM
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Cc: Scott Overstreet
Subject: [Repeater-Builder] Rat Track Solvent?

Hello All

I said OK to an invitation to fix a repeater that suddenly quit after years
of trouble free service. Found a critical wire chewed in two and several
more "almosts". The fixes were easy but a problem remains in the cleanup.

Rat trash and droppings (OK to read as a common four letter word) swept and
vacuumed out easily but the brown "tracking" residue remaining on the base
surfaces and trails is resistant to everything I have tried----water, dish
and laundry detergents straight and with water, 409, alcohol, "Goo-off" and
paint thinner. The crud releases from vinyl wire with a lot of scrubbing
using one of the detergents and water but nothing I have tried lifts the
crud at all from a painted, galvanized or plated metal surface.

What works?---any and all practical suggestions will be tried and their
performance reported.

Thanks much--

Scott, N6NXI