The SM-512 is a service monitor that covers 1 to 512 MHz if memory
serves correctly. It has a built in Sinadder and Millivolt meter. The
system was designed around a Bearcat scanner. When Bearcat quit making
the scanner, the system was redesigned from scratch and expanded to go
to 1GHz, hence the SM-1000. If you look at the boards inside the
SM-512 you will be able to identify the Bearcat model from the
processor board. We made a bunch of neat stuff at Helper while Bill
Detwiller (the owner) was still alive.

I will look to see if I still have a users manual for either of these
still around.