From: skipp025 <skipp...@yahoo.com>
Subject: [Repeater-Builder] Running or Booting Dos Radio Programs in - with
Windows 98se
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sunday, January 18, 2009, 12:54 PM

            Hi Mark,

I have not found a Dos - Radio Programming Program that I

haven't been able to run in/on my vintage Digital HiNote VP

Laptop. And I've tried similar setups many other laptops...

The only operational quirk is that a few (mostly Motorola

RSS/MSS) programs require you exit Windows 98se to MS Dos.

And the really ancient programs would like you to slow the

world (computer) down to a crawl using the Moslow program.

Otherwise many/most of the original Dos Programs operate

in Windows 98se using/within a Dos Window.

****

What you probably need right now is...

A copy of the original Windows 98 (install) boot disk that

tests for and loads a number of on floppy disk available

CD Rom Drivers. Rare is/was the case where the mentioned

disk failed to boot a usable CD rom driver.

The disk boot process delivers you to a prompt of install

Windows from a CD or boot to a prompt with or without a

CD Rom Driver in place. From that point your machine is now

booted to a usable command prompt and depending on your

selection with or without a CD Rom Driver.

****

How you deal with loading a program from a CD Rom, Hard or

floppy disk from the above mentioned command prompt is another

****

So you need to find/obtain a copy of the mentioned Windows

98se floppy disk (and there are at least two versions).

Time to learn about the programs rawread (raw-read) and rawwrite

(raw-write) which allow you to capture an restore exact floppy

disk images. The original programs of course required you run them

on/at a dos command prompt... so that might be a fly in your

soup if you didn't have the new raw-write program for Windows

(mentioned below).

With a copy of a Windows 98se boot floppy disk "image" file

you can restore/make your own boot disk and boot to

the command prompt as directed above.

Raw read and raw write are modestly powerful programs so

warnings go out to casual users who don't tend to read directions.

A quick search of the net found a windows version... Lucky

you. Until I did the search today I had been working with the

original dos only version...

http://www.chrysoco me.net/rawwrite

So in theory... after learning about, finding and installing

a raw write type program you can "roll your own' (make) Windows

98se boot disk... you just need the disk file image from

someone really nice.

You might contact that person via Email and see what you

receive back.

cheers,

skipp

skipp025 at yahoo.com

[pasted text]

What is a disk image :

A disk image is a file that contains all the raw data on a

disk in the original track and sector format. Using a disk

image enables you to send diskettes that are not MS-DOS format

via FTP or EMail and then recreate them in their original

format and integrity.

[end pasted text]

> "Mark" <n9...@...> wrote:

> Nope - this is an OLD machine.  No USB, no SCSI.

> What I am really needing to find are the DOS/Win95 device

> drivers for the CD drive.  It's an NEC Versa 4080h.

> Just so we can keep this "sorta" on topic, the primary

> purpose for this laptop is to run old Motorola and other

> radio programming software.

> Mark - N9WYS

._,___