John,

Haven't seen the Guru's jump in here so thought I'd make a comment.

 From what I gathered reading your post it appears you have a UHF RX &
TX operating with a 1.55 Mhz separation between the 2 units. Bad enough
the small frequency spread but having the TX and RX antennas setting in
the same horizontal plane 10 feet apart as the UHF repeater transmits
(unknown power) into your link receiver has got to be a  source of
desense/feedback.

You didn't comment on any existing filtering for the system ??

I am not a person who has the knowledge to advise about different
options of filter/duplexer's available and their effects on your
operation. However even with my limited experience I would seriously
look at relocating one of the UHF antennas. Either to another location
or at a minimum to a different vertical plane.

Larry - N7FM