A  group I was in used to use both some Comet and Diamonds. We
soldered the element joints AND covered the radome joints with the
fancy heatshrink with the glue in it. They held up for at least 5
years before I moved and lost track of them -- they were also top
supported, and I think that helped a lot too.

One thing that bugs me about the lighter weight fiberglass antennas is
radiation angle. Some of those high gain guys have very narrow
vertical patterns -- especially at UHF. it doesn't seem it would take
much whipping around in the wind to start throwing the pattern all
over the place.... you know, down at the ground, now up at the sky,
etc. as the antenna swings around.

73 DE N0MJS

--
Cort Buffington