OK. I misunderstood your question. I thought you were asking about 'case
2'. BTW, the <1dB to the N/S would make sense, and is in harmony with
the figure 8 pattern I mentioned.

There should be plenty of books that will show the pattern for an
elliptical configuration. I don't recall the exact numbers, but really
it should be about the same as the figure 8 since the elements would
still be completely off the side to the N/S, and rather than E/W primary
lobes you would have simply E/E. Just the gain would be +3dB toward the
east relative to 'case 2'.

So the answer should be about 1dB N/S, but would quickly rise as you
travel toward the east of due north, and drop as you travel to the west
of due north.

Joe M.