Gareth,

I like your  portable repeater! Is it Yeasu/Vertex based? I agree that an RSSI
controlled repeater could be problematic for outlying areas, so if it was
implemented, we would want to take careful steps to make sure it was
appropriate. My thinking was that the relatively small footprint served by a
portable repeater with marginal antennas and low power output might militate
towards limiting the power. Of course, any low power units trying to hit the
repeater would tend to make it vote towards higher power output, so maybe the
wisest course would be to just set a fixed power, or offer the repeater owner
remote power level control. I am trying to make a unit significantly smaller
and lighter than your 22 pound machine, so power savings is going to be an
issue!

Allen
VHS
AF60F