Hi Paul,

I have a TKR-720 (VHF), and was successful in reprogramming
it for the ham frequencies.

However, it is not for the 'faint of heart'.

1.  There are two EEPROM devices which must be reprogrammed.
    One for the frequencies, and one for PL.

2.  The EEPROM device for the frequencies is soldered to the
    front panel board.  You must unsolder & put a socket in
    place of it (so you can plug in the re-programmed device).

3.  You must make your own EEPROM programmer.  It's not all
    that difficult - just a socket & a couple of easy to get
    parts.

4.  I use a program called PonyProg, which does the actual
    reading/writing.  Another program called XVI32 is used
    to change the binary file that you downloaded from the
    original EEPROM.  (you shouldn't destroy the original
    part).

5.  I had to re-tune the VCOs - easy procedure, and the
    schematics/manual for the 720/820 seem to be available
    in .pdf form around.

Anyhow, I went through this procedure about 2 months ago... you
can search through the archives for TKR-720, and probably
find the thread which included the programmer schematics &
'how to' guide.

Having said that, it'd be a lot easier to get something
from Skipp!!

Thanks,

Tim  W5FN