Kris Kirby wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Oct 2009, Thomas Oliver wrote:
> > Buy a commercial one and cry once.
>
> What he said. Give until it hurts, but a DB-224 or a Super Stationmaster
> with upper brace are a necessity in environments where ice damage is a
> possible. Do it once, do it right.
>
> Or do it every week/month/year. Are you paying for a tower climber?
>
> > Failing to have the funds you may want to build a colinear out of coax
> > sections. It don't get much cheaper than that.
> >
> > http://www.repeater-builder.com/antenna/wa6svt.html
> <http://www.repeater-builder.com/antenna/wa6svt.html>
>
> Wait until that develops a crackle...
>
> --
> Kris Kirby, KE4AHR
> Disinformation Analyst

I thought the prefered poor-man's repeater antenna was a J-pole?

Out of curiosity - are the 'square dipole' (or 'gapped loop' or whatever
they want to call them) antennas usable for repeater use?   Example:
http://www.hamuniverse.com/loop.htm

I've seen a 'hamsexy' Explorer around these parts (East Texas) with a
stack of these on the roof at various frequencies.  I personally dislike
vertical antennas on cars (at best they generate wind noise, at worst
they hit things and get bent/broken) these look like a decent option for
truck/SUV use, assuming the other side is hpol too or you're willing to
put up with the x-pol losses.

JS