> Kevin Custer <kug...@...> wrote:
> I disagree that an audio delay board negates the positive
> effect of a MICOR squelch.

Not in every example... but in many cases adding an external
Micor Squelch Board/Circuit can be an over-kill expense when
the audio delay operation (of some, not all) repeater
controllers cleans up a multitude of sins (noise).

It's not a negation... just over-kill in some examples.

> I have several  repeaters where the controllers utilize
> an audio delay and MICOR squelch and none of them suffer any
> deficiencies because of the presence of the audio delay.
> In fact, it's nice to have a clean squelch tail after
> someone unkeys that exhibits a C/N that produces the
> longer tail.

I agree... but do some of you guys really need to add the
external Micor Squelch Board to an already decent squelch
circuit when any noise crash is cleaned up by by the external
repeater controller's ADM (audio delay module)?

What's funny to me about the above statement... I don't
normally use ADM Modules and how I'm just trying to play
Devil's Advocate in this example.

Harken back to those early ACC Repeater Controller days
when many of us realized how nice the added ADM Module
removed the receiver squelch crash. Made a few of us building
repeaters actually sound like we knew what we were doing...
:-) ... a question I still ask myself quite often.

> I think we need to get to the reasons why a multi-hysteresis
> squelch works and why it is desired.

It works very well, but it's not desired by all in the Kingdom.
I much prefer a very fast dual-level squelch circuit. In my
personal preference based on actual weak signal examples.... the
slow speed operation of the Micor Squelch Chip is kind of
annoying when I compare it to a properly set fast dual squelch
circuit.

Yeah, it would be fun to revisit squelch circuit operation.

> Then determine if there is a need for a "real" MICOR clone.
> I say real, because in my opinion, the microprocessor
> knock-offs that are available are not equivalents, none
> the less superior to the original analog design.

Some of the uP based Squelch Circuits are not even close to
the Micor Operation. They might work O'Tay, but they are not
the same.

> Kevin Custer

Would you buy a used car from anyone posting to this group?

cheers,
s.

PS: I will say that in most cases I try to avoid using
Audio Delay Modules to hide squelch crash noise. The fast
dual level squelch circuits I like to use sounds muy bien
(great).