This sounds like a problem I traced about 20 years ago on a VHF paging system. The PA was tube and there was some issue the tech had with the PA not firing on rf drive .. so he locked the PTT to the PA on all the time and then just turned the exciter on and off....The problem was the PA was self resonant +- a sweep of our freq and would go there whenever the transmitter exciter was NOT present... and it drifted with temperature.... so was a 300 w moving target.... I guess he never looked at it with a watt meter while the exciter was off.... How we finally identified it was we could hear the tone blips at the end of the interference cycle ( when the station was really being asked to tx) bleed through from the PURC tones just before it went away.. We then watched the TX carrier of the real tx come on perfectly synchronously....to the absence on our end...By watching what came on when it went off we figured out the freq... as there was no modulation during interference...They toggled perfectly on a wide sweep spectrum analyzer...

During the day it was gone as the system was busy.. but at night when it got quiet.... we got hammered...Then I DF'ed the particular tx.....as it was a simulcast....And the tech shut it down until it could be fixed correctly and our problem went away....

The tone sequencing leaked through from the link system which pointed us to paging... in this case it was a 152 .xxxx to protect the guilty :-) and moved to 151.xxxx area blocking some control stations inputs at a nearby dispatch center...

Doug
KD8B