Thanks for the input folks!

I missed a couple critical pieces of information that are about to get me shot!
;-)

Our FM Voice repeater is running through a 6-cavity duplexer. The APRS setup
had a single cavity, tuned to the 144.39 APRS frequency. I am assuming this
single cavity is acting as a low pass filter or maybe a notch to prevent the
voice repeater from overpowering the APRS, but I honestly don't know. APRS is
running on a rack-mounted mobile rig. We don't have to contend with too many
neighbors on this hill. Only have two, they're government, and the nearest
frequency is 30Mhz up the band.

I should elaborate a little more too. We realize the APRS and Voice repeater
antennas are way too close, and our APRS setup was ridiculously overpowered.
We've already dropped our output from 40 watts to 5 on the APRS. We're going to
be replacing the APRS antenna with something with quite a bit less gain, and
we're going to put as much vertical spacing between it and the Voice repeater's
antenna as we can. In other words, I think we already have a plan to fix the
issues, but I want to understand the issues. My curiosity is in what is causing
the affects were are currently seeing/hearing. Noise and desense are one thing,
but the popping and crackling when trying to hook the antenna to a powered off
radio, and the weird noise on the voice repeater that is initiated by keying
the APRS, but won't leave until the voice repeater is unkeyed has me scratching
my head.

...and I'm trying to spout a lot of jargon, with very little experience in
their use, so before getting your exercise flying (off the handle) and jumping
(to conclusions), keep in mind I may not be saying it right. I'm fairly new at
using these here new fangled  words... ;-) Finally, please note we're trying to
fix issues we inherited, we didn't do this, and want to make it "best
practice", while actually learning something in the process. Crazy huh?

Thanks again for the feedback.