Eric,

You'd be surprised how often a radio gets bricked during a firmware upgrade.
The primary causes are impatience, where the technician disconnects the
cables prematurely because he thinks the operation is complete, and the use
of incorrect cables or flashing adapters.  A radio or laptop battery that
dies at the worst possible moment can also be a problem.

Since you appear to be savvy about the long wait between the first and
second beep signals, I wonder if you might have used the wrong firmware
upgrade package.  There are two:

"Professional Series Portable Firmware R05.14.03 - Four Line Display Radios"
and
"Professional Series Portable Firmware R05.14.03 - Non Four Line Display
Radios"

The "Non Four Line" firmware is for HT750 and HT1250 radios only.  The "Four
Line" firmware is for HT1550 radios.  Loading the four-line firmware into an
HT750 will brick it.  Assuming you have the proper cables and adapters for
firmware flashing, I suggest trying to load the correct firmware to see if
the radio can be recovered.  Otherwise, it's a $275 repair at the depot.  Be
aware that once the radio is flashed to firmware version R05.14.03, you
should use HVN9025W CPS (R06.11.05) or later to program the radio.

73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY