From: Gary Schafer <gascha...@comcast.net>
Subject: RE: [Repeater-Builder] Has anyone measured out-of-band rejection for a
duplexer?
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Date: Monday, November 23, 2009, 4:03 PM

      You can make the measurement with a signal generator and a tunable
receiver

that has some kind of indicator for signal strength. It doesn't even need to

be calibrated. Connect the signal generator to the antenna port and the

receiver to the receiver port of the duplexer. Be sure to disable the

transmitter.

Find a reference level with the signal generator on the operate frequency.

Then tune the signal generator to the interested rejection frequency and

find it with the receiver. Then note the signal generator level and increase

its output to match the receive strength that you noted at the start. The

difference between the two levels is the amount of rejection the filters are

giving you at the frequency of interest.

With a pass/reject duplexer you won't have a lot of off frequency rejection

as there is not much of a pass band on that type of duplexer. There will be

good pass band rejection in the space between tx and rx frequencies due to

the overlap of the filter skirts but outside of either it is not much.

For an added receiver filter, your pass/notch filters again will not do too

much for you as far as pass band rejection goes. If you use them to reject a

specific frequency, each can should give you about 30 db of notch rejection

but you may have some degradation of the wanted frequency if it is far

removed. And you will probably not be able to move the notch far enough such

as the broadcast band.

You may be able to convert the cans to pass cavities by changing the

coupling loops. Then you can do the same measurement as described above to

see how much rejection you will get.

Also look at some pass band curves in the catalogs and you will see about

how much rejection a pass cavity will give you at a given distance away from

where it is tuned.

73

Gary  K4FMX