Thanks to everyone for the feedback so far!

So here is what is bothering me this afternoon. Maybe someone here can shed
some light on this for me.

The battery I am thinking about using was one I bought a while ago for my boat,
but I didn't use it because it was too big for the battery box in the boat
(don't ask). I kept it knowing full well I had other uses for it.

Thinking about this some more, by law any wet cell battery on a boat must be
contained in a battery box. Thinking more about this, I realize that the
standard plastic battery box is not really vented, nor completely sealed. In
the case of my boat (24' pontoon)has two such batteries, one under the seat in
the rear for the motor and the other under the seat in the front for the
trolling motor. The compartments under the seats are enclosures in and of
themselves. The rear one is charging off the engine during run time. On an
afternoon cruise it could run for several hours charging the battery the whole
time.

So the wet cell battery, in the box by law, is charging in a box with little
ventalation. Are boat owners everywhere sitting on ticking hydrogen bombs?

Tom
W9SRV