Yes, they were commonly used to drive the bigger 330W Tube-type amplifiers.

I have some in the VHF band. You may consider using a Japanese power
module. (commonly found in mobile rigs) These modules are VERY efficient
and are well suited for solar power applications. They can be found at
rfparts.com. You'll need to look for one with the output power you
desire at the input power you need.

Scott

Scott Zimmerman
Amateur Radio Call N3XCC