In my area there have been several repeaters taken off the air for various
reasons. Mostly for non use. There were a few "super repeaters" that covered a
wide area, but for some reason, even they don't get much use anymore. I guess
Nextel and the like killed them. Its funny...there is a university system in
the area, that has machines all over the state and in surrounding states as
well, but I never hear anyone on it. None of the older local machines are in
use. There is a "Super Repeater" that is single site, and has the same crew
operating it as it did in the early 80's. It's great to hear the guys I've
known for over 25 years still operating!!

Myself, I had an 80 watt UHF repeater than had 220, 6, and 10 meter remote
bases. I never expected the 6 and 10 meter links to be used locally. I wanted
to give my users the option of working a distant station on the higher bands.
This was successful to a limited degree. But as with the gentleman before
stated, there were few local 6 meter users, and even fewer 10 meter locals. I
did manage to converse with the 10 meter machine in the Virgin Islands on a
regular basis when the sunspot cycles were hot...but at the bottom, literally
nothing on the air. Likewise 6... I had a great shot to both Florida and the
midwest (particularly Wisconsin, for some odd reason) on a regular basis. The
220 link was used to link to another repeater in a shore community about 70
miles away. It worked great at both ends, but there was a lot of dead spots in
the middle. I finally took it off that site after the owner of the building
sold the use of the roof to a cell phone
 company for $450,000!!! Money talks and you know what walks. I have to say, it
was a great run because I was on that roof from 1984 to 1999. The machine is
now at my house in a small city, and is strictly UHF with he 220 link still on,
but all of the remote gear is still in the cabinet, but not in use.

Pointman