From: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:repeater-buil...@yahoogroups.com] On
Behalf Of Kirk Mefford
Sent: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 2:06 PM
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] newbie looking for
info

Since everyone is giving you the advise and links
to more advanced subjects
of repeater building I'll list the overly
simplified basics.

List of equipment needed:
Receiver
Transmitter (this might be 2 parts-and exciter and
a power amplifier)
Controller (to tell the transmitter when to
transmit)
Duplexer (if you want to use one antenna and/or
save space)
Antenna (or two if you don't use a duplexer-one
for TX, one for RX)
Antenna feedline
Various cables to connect everything together
Power to run the equipment

Rules you have to abide by:
Laws of physics
Laws of your governing body

The links and suggestions provided help explain
all of the above and
somewhere on the repeater builder pages there is a
page which describes the
experiences of a person's first time building a
repeater.

The how's and why's of building a repeater
especially a "good" repeater
isn't as easy to write in a single email/web
page/etc. There are a LOT of
ways to build a repeater and every variable will
have a different effect on
the finished product.

The biggest point to remember if you are thinking
of building a repeater is
it will take time, money and knowledge. The more
you have of any of those
things, the less you'll need of the others.