  From: zl3tda
  To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 9:47 PM
  Subject: [Repeater-Builder] Re: Motorola Power Supply Questiona

  Hey Gareth,

  Nice to hear from you. Thanks for the info on the power supply and I will
heed your warnings about battery types. I am possibly able to get a circuit
diagram for this from another group member and this will be very helpful in my
possible future use of this supply. My primary want for this is for its DC
supply at 25 odd amps for powering 12v devices in the mobile home, so if it
pans out it is not that suitable for charging my Gels ... I can live with that.
Might be the push I need to get some solar panels bought and installed :-)

  Thanks again.

  Graham.

  --- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, "Gareth Bennett" <gare...@...> wrote:

  > Hi Graham,
  >
  > We recently threw out dozens of similar items from Transpower sites that
were in service as constant voltage float chargers in substations.

  > What you may have is a constant voltage charger with supervision circuitry
by the looks of it, and a way to set voltage and overcurrent foldback.

  > These chargers are great for conventional lead acid batteries, but
generally do not have temperature compensation for sealed construction cells
such as SLA / AGM etc.

  > Most importantly is to go by the battery manufacturers
specifications....More often than not, the charger is the cheapest item in the
installation.

  > Regards,
  >
  > Gareth

of a repeater installation and I am looking for some info on it. What I am
mostly wanting to know is what a small row of header type pins are for -
external meters etc perhaps? The numbers on the transformer are - 25D84880N02 /
TB602 / Scumacher Elect 93-013-418. I did a google and got a few hits ... all
NON English :-)

  > I want to use this to provide the DC power needs in my mobile home while I
am connected to grid power (got a few hungry devices - Ham radios,audio and Rf
amps and LCD TV's). I see there is a charging circuit as well and would hope
this would be suitable to keep my deep cycle batteries topped up - no solar
panels installed at this time. I am wondering if the charging circuit is able
to look after my batteries and has 1-2-3 stage charging - bulk, absorption and
float ... or would it just be float? Having prematurely lost a couple of very
big deep cycle batteries due to perhaps over zealous charging from the built-in
charger on the old Trace inverter I have been using, I am keen to look after my
new set as best I can. Is the charger in this type of supply up to the task or
would I be best to use a smaller "good" quality three stage charger separate.

  > Oh ... and to keep it "on topic" - I have a couple of Tait T800 repeaters
in a rack in the bus for events and festival comms.