I think this comes down to personal preference. I know a lot of folks who will
argue that one or the other is "better" but they both do what they are supposed
to do. Some say there are a lot of falsing issues with PL and that DPL doesn't
false. In actual use, I have heard both false. Some say there are interference
problems with certain tones. This can be true in some situations. DPL will give
you more choices since there are more DPL codes than PL tones. As far as I
know, any modern radio designed originally for 900 MHz commercial use will do
either well. I personally prefer PL because there are more after market devices
for that format and it is easier to implement in some situations such as with
phase modulated exciters. But it is still just my personal preference. Your
Maxtrac should handle either format.