DCFluX wrote:
> How about a 7809 regulator IC with a 1N4004 diode in the ground leg to
> raise the output voltage to 9.6V?

There is nothing mysterious about 9.6 volts.  It could be 9.00 volts
10.00 volts 11.00 12.00 volts or *anything* in between.  The part that
is critical is that it is stiffly regulated.  Something less than 10.6
volts was chosen because that is the point where a lead acid battery is
technically totally depleted.  This means the critical circuitry
(oscillators, multipliers, etc.) are always fed with stable power to the
point where the battery is dead.

In a station, the 9.6 volt circuitry *could* be run from 12 volts, as
long as its regulated.  I'm not suggesting someone does that, because
the circuits were optimized for 9.6 volts, but I'm trying to make a point.

If it were me, I'd just use a 9 or 10 volt three terminal regulator
(7809 or 7810) and skip the whole LM-317 or diodes in the ground leg
deal.  It only serves to make the circuitry more involved , harder to
mount, and for NO advantage whatsoever.

Kevin Custer