Generally microwave is used for point to point communications such as
intercity links for telephone and studio to transmitter links for television
and radio stations.

The power generated by the transmitter is fairly low in the 10-100mW range
but the antenna gain of a dish is extremely high 30-40dB depending on
frequency and size of the dish, making a 100mW transmitter have an ERP that
is 100 - 1000W. With that being said it is probably not a good idea to hang
around the appreture of the dish while one of these systems is running.

These frequencies are a challange because of the water vapor and rain really
like to absorb them and with antenna gain that high the beam width is
extremely narrow. I have a 6ft cookie that is .8 degrees wide. Longest path
I saw was 65 miles on 12 GHz, had 15 foot dishes on both ends.

Normal towers have a tendency to twist depending on wind and temperature
variations so its a good idea to mount the dishes with super thick poles
directly into the ground with concrete.

The local cable company put a system on 24 GHz that went 1 mile. worked
great until it rained and got humid, they mounted the dishes on wooden phone
poles and they twisted to the point where the link quit working.