From: tec1122000 <t...@teccs.biz>
Subject: [Repeater-Builder] GE Rangr 150 - garbled audio when squelch tones are
on
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Date: Monday, May 17, 2010, 12:04 PM

I own 4 GE Rangr 150s. 2 of the 40 watt and 2 of the 110 watt. They transmit
and receive beautifully without the Call Guard tones turned on. The deviation
is a little low and won't allow me to get full 4.75 kHz deviation, but the
audio quality is perfect. When I turn on the Call Guard tone to use a repeater,
there is a bunch of noise added to the voice audio. I am thinking that if I
have 4 radios doing this, then someone else must have seen this problem before
and hopefully has some answers. This radio doesn't have a separate tone board
as some evidently do. The tones are created in the CPU and sent to the audio
circuitry on the WALSH BIT lines from the CPU. Has anyone seen this before?

I have adjusted the deviation pots (one for the PLL, one for the exciter) and
still can't get the deviation up to spec. I am getting about 2.75kHz.

I have the manual and have studied it thoroughly. My guess here is that I have
a failing component such as a capacitor that is reducing my audio. Just wanted
to see if anyone else has had this problem with these old radios.