At 01:19 PM 07/23/10, you wrote:
>Hey Guys. I was looking at the schematic for the above mentioned
>speaker (thank you repeater builder site) and I had a few questions.

If anybody's interested it's here:
<http://www.repeater-builder.com/motorola/genesis/pdfs/nsn6054a-68p81108c39-o.pdf>

>First, does anyone know where to find a replacement for the
>5184320A99 dual op-amp labeled U1?

I'd look in the National Semiconductor products manual
that covers automotive audio products.
That schematic resembles what I saw in an early 1980s app
note for a car stereo receiver.   LM187something.

>Secondly, Is this op-amp basically being used as a buffer, preamp,
>and inverter?

Both halves are being used strictly as an inverting buffer
for out-of-phase audio.

Look carefully at the schematic and remember that
nothing in the input circuit is ground referenced - the
audio input (from the radio) is balanced audio (both
are sides hot, 180 degrees out of phase with each other,
and there's an implied / virtual audio ground) in the
middle.

Each side of the circuitry driving the speaker is a mirror
image of the other, just like the incoming audio is a
mirror image compared to the virtual ground.

>Thirdly, what on earth are pins 3, 4, 5 and pins 10, 11, 12 doing?
>I have never seen so many pins on an op-amp tied together.

If that chip is the one I'm thinking of its capable of about 2 watts
per channel on it's own.  That takes some heat sinking.
Probably a heat sink for the final transistors inside the opamp.
And if you look closely, pin 1 is audio ground, and pins 3,4,5,
10, 11 and 12 are power ground - and those are switched to
ground by Q3, which is driven by the squelch circuit in the radio.

>Thanks!
>Albert

Mike WA6ILQ