It kinda sounds like I may be one of the few people that is a VE on here (at
least that reads regularly).

The last time I checked, the Technician test is about 35 questions out of a
pool of around 350 questions.  The General test is also 35 with around 400
questions in the pool, and the Extra class test is 50 questions with a pool of
around 650 questions.

You can download the full question pools from <http://www.ncvec.org/>

You can take practice tests online at <http://www.qrz.com/p/testing.pl>  They
wrote this flash program so you can take the same test over and over again or
select a new one.  This allows you to memorize the questions.  If you can ace
about five of these, you've got around 1/2 of the question pool mastered and
will likely be able to pass whatever test you were working on.

You will need to take the actual test with three accredited volunteer examiners
(VEs).  If they are accredited/affiliated with the ARRL the test session will
cost $15, if they are with W5YI-VEC then it will be $14.  Other groups prices
will vary.  You are paying for the test session, so unless that group is short
on time you can keep taking tests as long as you can pass.  If you pass
Technician it's customary to let you take General.  If you pass General it's
customary to let you take Extra.

Will Gwin
www.N5KH.org
Will