If you are attempting to verify a manufacturer's specification, the TIA-603
procedure should be used.  If you are serious about that, you should probably
acquire TSB-88 in addition to TIA-603.

Here is a link to a presentation that discusses adjacent channel testing and
explains the roles of the various standards documents:

http://www.apcointl.org/frequency/documents/W09-olson.ppt

Jeff has summarized the procedure correctly with the exception that the current
procedure utilizes a two-tone modulation for the interefering signal.

This test requires that the signal generator ustilized for the interefering
signal have exceptional phase noise performance or the test results will be
inaccurate.

There are a number of suitable high-end generators such as the Aeroflex 2041.
I doubt if the signal generation function of any service monitor is suitable.

If you are simply wanting to compare various recever models for a particular
application such as a repeater receiver, an alternative would be to use the
actual repeater transmitter as the interferer. Connect it to a suitable load
with a signal tap and attenuator configured to sample the signal and feed into
the receiver test in place of the second signal generator.

Here is another summary of a process similar to the TIA-603:

ADJACENT CHANNEL REJECTION

Method of Measurement

Terminate the audio output of the receiver in a load specified by the
manufacturer, and make measurements using a C-message weighted filter.

(a) Connect two RF signal generators equally coupled to the receiver antenna
input terminals through a suitable matching network. Set the first RF signal
generator to the assigned channel frequency and modulate it with a 1004 Hz tone
at 60% of the maximum permissible peak frequency deviation. Switch the second
generator off. Adjust the first RF signal generator level to produce a 12 dB
SINAD measurement at the audio-output terminals of the receive path. Record the
RF signal level and increase this first RF signal generator output by 3 dB.

(b) Set the frequency of the second RF signal generator to the adjacent channel
above the frequency of the first RF signal generator and modulate it
simultaneously with two tones, one at 650 Hz at a deviation of 50% of the
maximum permissible frequency deviation and another at 2200 Hz at a deviation
of 50% of the maximum permissible frequency deviation.  The level of each of
the two tones should be set to 50% of the generator's modulator input level
specification.  The deviation of the RF signal generator should be set to 100%
of the maximum permissible frequency deviation.

Adjust the level of the second RF signal generator to reduce the SINAD
measurement back to 12 dB. Record the RF signal level.

(c) Repeat step (b) with the frequency of the second RF signal generator set to
the adjacent channel below the frequency of the first RF signal generator.

(d) Calculate the ratios, in decibels (dB), of the undesired signal levels
measured in steps (b) and (c) to the reference level obtained in step (a).

The smaller of these ratios for the above and below channel undesired signals
is the adjacent channel rejection.