Re: Simrex - GLB Pre-Selector  Pre-Amplifier

>>> Yes, but the NF is unpublished & unknown. I therefore
>>> assume it's poor, maybe 3 dB?

Once again, the NF depends on what device arrives in your
specific Simrex (aka GLB) Pre-Selector. It wouldn't hurt
or be impossible to ask.

>>> A Chip Angle GaAsFET @ UHF has 0.5 dB NF. Put a 1/4
>>> wave pass cavity with 0.5 dB loops in front of it &
>>> you have a narrow 1 dB NF front-end. I'll take 1 dB
>>> NF over 3 dB NF any day.

You're actually comparing two different boxes. The Angle,
ARR, Telewave, Hamtronics, yadda-yadda brand Pre-amplifiers
are just Pre-amplifiers.   The Simrex / GLB box is an
RF Amplifier with both Pre and Post filters. The lower
realized gain of the Simrex / GLB unit is directly related
to the additional filtering included inside the box.

>>> The Simrex unit makes a nice solution if you don't have
>>> the physical space for a 1/4 wave bottle.

But it's not the primary reason why I like them.

>>> Then again, I know someone who just ordered an even
>>> smaller MtronPTI front-end crystal filter to solve
>>> a front-end overload problem from a TX over 1 MHz
>>> away from his RX.

Crystal filters can be very helpful but people tend to
depend on them to cure a Symptom.

>>> Not the best solution (higher loss, can't be re-tuned
>>> if he ever has to change freq.), but I guess it works
>>> for him.

Sometimes you need a large brick wall with only a small
doorway so they obviously have their usefulness.

>> If you picked the UHF Simrex unit with less gain, more
>> selectivity than the standard model, then the noise
>> factor should be better?

The less gain is related to the internal filtering "stages",
not the device.  I would expect the version with the GasFet
to have the typical expected NF for that device. Any other
available active devices to have Noise Figures commensurate
with their typical expected values (for those devices).

> I doubt it.  But without any real NF numbers, it's all
> guesswork.

I have measured all the original GLB Pre-selectors and their
performance values are very realistic (no surprises). I wouldn't
expect a surprise/difference if I ordered the GasFet equipped
Simrex Pre-selector.

>> I guess it comes back to price too, a 1/4 wave can plus
>> pre-amp will cost more money.......

No, your selection should be based on your needs. Do you need
a bare RF-Pre-amplifier or do you need an integrated, amplified
RF Pre-selector box?

>> GaAsFET preamp is ~$130.  I don't think I've ever paid more
>> than $50 for a pass cavity, so the total is ~$100 less than
>> the GLB unit.

Reads like you're comparing a new Preamp with a used cavity
against the price of a new Simrex (GLB) Pre-selector. That's
not really fair...

One of the really nice (and mostly overlooked) items about
the Simrex (GLB) unit construction (and operation) is the
Post (active) Amplifier Filtering (tuned circuits).  For more
than one real reason they can be one of the most under
reported "bacon saver" in your fry pan.

s.