Sometimes troubles like this are hard to find because you can't be there
when it is happening.  I have found that a Radio Shack Digital Voltmeter
that I have and an old laptop have been handy for such times.  I bought
an RS DVM with the RS-232 interface on sale a few years ago.  I
connected it to an old laptop that I have via the RS-232 port and run
the simple program that came with the DVM.  It records readings over
time and stores them to a file.  You can then look at the file and see
if things have changed over a period of time.  I've used it to record AC
voltage at sites where I suspected drops in voltage levels and it was
helpful to get things fixed.  Definitely not lab quality equipment, but
very helpful in troubleshooting.  This setup could easily watch the 10
volt line or the compensation voltage line.

Just thought I'd pass this idea along.

73, Joe, K1ike