And where I lived, channels that did not have a crystal oven installed were
designated MT, presumably meaning those channels were empty.

--- On Wed, 8/4/10, Walter H <walter.howard...@gmail.com> wrote:

From: Walter H <walter.howard...@gmail.com>
Subject: [Repeater-Builder] Re: Mastr II Mobile Repeater?
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wednesday, August 4, 2010, 11:04 AM

      Close but no cigar.

What you describe is MTS, Mobile Telephone Service.

All calls were handled by a Bell operator.

This was replaced by IMTS, Improved Mobile Telephone Service.

These channels had 2 letter designations, like YL or JS.

[Interesting note; there used to be a low band phone service, too.]

RCC refers to the private entities [non-Bell] that provided mobile telephone
service.

I worked for one in central NH.

That particular one was 454/459 MHz with 2805 Hz overdial.

I also did service on another provider's hi-band system.

In the 80's, some were fully automatic like the one I worked for, and some
still had operators to handle the calls. They were all RCC's.

All those systems went away with the advent of cell phones.

And the frequencies put up for auction.

WalterH