"As receiver bandwidth narrows, higher frequency stability is required.
Handhelds with ovenized reference oscillators are not very practical."

TCXOs are more than adequate to do the job.  Typical frequency stability for a
+-5.0kC system is 5ppm.  TCXOs of 0.5ppm are common and not terribly expensive;
more than 2.5 times more stable than conventional wisdom would claim necessary
for 6.25kC bandwidth.  If you use a good tight receiver with a reasonably quiet
front end, there should be NO appreciable difference in range;  the NB system
could even be a bit better.
Tom