Gary,
I am in Southern Oregon and I understand exactly what you are experiencing. We
have very similar problems down here with our club's repeater. I have often
talked about and even done some serious looking at remodeling a set of
broadcast loops and harness for 2 Meters.

I know there was a southern California repeater back in the 70's that used
circular polarization with excellent results. They were able to provide much
better coverage in their main service area, but did loose some long distance
coverage outside their main coverage area.

We have had the best success by using a lower gain antenna. We have been using
the Telewave broadband two loop antennas with 2 - 4 degrees of downtilt, for
both our 2 Meter and 440 MHz repeaters. I have found much better close in (0-30
Miles) coverage, less muti-path, and they cost quite a bit less than a Super
Stationmaster.

Good Luck and keep us posted with what you find for results.

Joe - WA7JAW