Stuff to try:

   1. Verify that the LO multiplier chain is peaked correctly.  I've
      seen a bunch of these that exhibit this symptom that had mistuned
      LO chains.
   2. Feed the test signal into the RX directly.  If you see good
      sensitivity, you know where to looks  ;-)
   3. Take each of the bottom cover shields off in order and clean the
      tabs.  Put them back on and run a small screwdriver tip every 1/8"
      or so shorting the can  to its ground. If you see an improvement
      get out an iron and solder it.  I don't like doing this, but I
      haven't found an alternative that works.

--
mailto:o...@ozindfw.net
Oz