My fellow Replicants,

I believe I would be an ideal fit for the role of community manager primarily due to the fact that I already volunteer for the project in a very similar capacity.

Since joining Replicant’s Redmine platform roughly 7 years ago I’ve contributed to over 140 issues, provided regular user support in the forums and on IRC, and edited numerous wiki pages. I have helped teach a Replicant flashing workshop at 34C3, co-presented a talk on Replicant at privacyweek.at, staffed a Technoethical booth selling Replicant and other free software compatible hardware at LibrePlanet, and assisted in the organization of two Replicant leadership meetings at FOSDEM.

I regularly follow projects and organizations to identify developers, code, concepts, collaboration opportunities and trends that could benefit Replicant including the FSF, Tor, LineageOS, PostmarketOS, Pine64, the Linux Kernel, more GitHub repositories and issue trackers than I’d like to mention, and XDA Forums.

My four year liberal arts degree from central.edu focused on Religion and Philosophy. Nearly every class I took had very writing intensive coursework. Since then, I’ve co-founded three nonprofits and was a member on all of their Boards of Directors, the most recent of is cyberia.club, a regional free software computer club.

I have five years of customer service experience in the food service industry, had a part time tech support job at my college, co-founded and taught classes on cryptography tools as a volunteer member of my local CryptoParty, CryptoPartyMN, and provided hardware and customer support for Libreboot, Trisquel, and Replicant users while working with Technoethical.

The NSA whistle blower revelations of 2012 and 2013 was what first instigated my study of free software philosophy. Quickly thereafter I became an FSF member, began regularly attending the LibrePlanet conference, learned how to Libreboot laptops, and changed my daily driver operating systems to Replicant, Trisquel, Debian, and Tails.

I have volunteered for over a decade as a mass surveillance and drug policy reform citizen lobbyist at my city hall and State legislature where I regularly engage in technical writing in the drafting of legislation, create coalitions of supporting organizations, and have difficult conversations with adversarial policy makers and other lobbyists in formal and informal settings.

Essentially, I would like to continue the work that I already have been doing with the knowledge and skills I’ve acquired over the years with the additional tasks of writing a regular newsletter, creating promotional materials, and helping the Replicant Steering Committee with tasks surrounding the funding of developers that create and maintain the code that we all depend on for our software freedom, privacy, and security.

In Solidarity,
Kurtis Hanna
https://redmine.replicant.us/projects/replicant/wiki/People#Kurtis-Hanna