Hi there!

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 18:14:26 +0100, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> First of all, bugreports are saved in ${TMPDIR} and then if you forget
> it erased by cronjobs...  Please save bugreports in ~/.reportbug/ and
> then add all neccesary headers suitable for sending the bugreport with
>
>     ${SENDMAIL} -t < bugreport

I was working on Debian on the Openmoko FreeRunner [1] and I tried to
report a bug through reportbug.

1) I *know* how to use reportbug, but since I wanted to act as an
   end-user (who does not necessarily reads documentation and so on), I
   did not configure anything in /etc/reportbug.conf except:

   - header "X-Debbugs-CC:"
     email "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
     realname "Luca Capello"

2) for the very same reason above, I did not run `reportbug --configure`
   as a normal user

3) on the Openmoko FreeRunner [1], Debian is installed through
   cdebootstrap with the --minimal flavor, which means that there is no
   MTA by default

Everything worked as expected, but the report was not sent and there was
no error:
=====
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ reportbug localepurge
[...]

"/tmp/reportbug-localepurge-20081113-2087-Tv1k0M" 120L, 4267C written
Report will be sent to "Debian Bug Tracking System" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Submit this report on localepurge (e to edit) [Y|n|a|c|e|i|l|m|p|q|?]? y
Bug report written as /var/tmp/localepurge.bug
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$
=====

/var/tmp/localepurge.bug is exactly the file Michelle asked for: I then
send it from my laptop with

  [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ /usr/sbin/sendmail -t <localepurge.bug

and the result is bug #505561 [2].

However, two notes, thanks to Blars Blarson on #debbugs/IRC:

1) I firstly sent the mail above as root and after having waited the BTS
   reply for 3h, Blars looked at it and discovered that my mail was
   'filtered as "from-daemon", probably because you sent from root'.
   Re-sending it as a normal user works as expected...

2) Message-ID is mandatory.

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca

Footnotes: