On Saturday 25 August 2012 14:10:06 Sandro Tosi wrote:
> Ok, I meant: what is the exact (or the variation of it) command you're
> running that doesn't give the non-interactive experience you're
> describing? This way I'll have the precise use-case to verify if the
> fix works or not.
[...]
> > The other bug reports are related. For instance, this bug could
> > probably be fixed by adding another pseudo-ui that doesn't interact
> > with the user and, instead, uses the default values for each prompt.
> > If there's no default value, then it is an error and it aborts the
> > whole thing.
>
> I think much of the menus and questions can be skipped or answered on
> the  cli, but I need the command causing problem to pin-points where
> the problems are.

Just an example, working around the issue of --tag security, the version
field part, and using --template:
(some bits are probably redundant or innecessary, but this is what I came up
with after checking all the options, one by one, on the man page)

[.reportbugrc has mode, email address, and ui configured, the first to
'expert', the second to the one below, and the third to 'text']
$ env | grep ^DEB
DEBEMAIL=geiss...@debian.org
DEBFULLNAME=Raphael Geissert
$ echo foo bar > /tmp/report.test
$ reportbug --quiet --ui=text --mode=expert --no-verify --no-query-bts --no-
check-available --no-debconf --no-check-installed --no-bug-script --no-tags-
menu --no-cc-menu --src --package-version=' ' --severity=grave --
justification='security issue' -s 'vulnerability in foo' --body-
file=/tmp/report.test  --template asterisk

** (process:4250): WARNING **: Trying to register gtype 'GMountMountFlags'
as enum when in fact it is of type 'GFlags'

** (process:4250): WARNING **: Trying to register gtype 'GDriveStartFlags'
as enum when in fact it is of type 'GFlags'

** (process:4250): WARNING **: Trying to register gtype 'GSocketMsgFlags' as
enum when in fact it is of type 'GFlags'
*** Welcome to reportbug.  Use ? for help at prompts. ***
Note: bug reports are publicly archived (including the email address of the
submitter).
Detected character set: UTF-8
Please change your locale if this is incorrect.

Using 'Raphael Geissert <geiss...@debian.org>' as your from address.
Will send report to Debian (per lsb_release).

Adding security tag to this report.
Are you reporting an undisclosed vulnerability? If so, in order to
responsibly disclose the issue, it should not be sent to the public BTS
right now, but instead to the private Security Team mailing list. [y|N|q|?]?
[I type y, then the email is displayed including the useless system
information, and is followed by: ]
If you want to provide additional information, please wait to receive the
bug tracking number via email; you may then send any extra
information to n...@bugs.debian.org (e.g. 999...@bugs.debian.org), where n is
the bug number. Normally you will receive an acknowledgement via
email including the bug report number within an hour; if you haven't
received a confirmation, then the bug reporting process failed at some
point (reportbug or MTA failure, BTS maintenance, etc.).

In a non-interactive mode, I'd expect it to print nothing (I don't even know
why there are those g-land warnings there) in case of success, and a warning
to stderr and a non-zero status code in case of errors.

Cheers,
--
Raphael Geissert - Debian Developer
www.debian.org - get.debian.net