On 30/06/13 05:24 AM, Sandro Tosi wrote:
> this is described in the "How to Use New GTK+ User Interface" section
> of /usr/share/doc/reportbug/README.Users.gz
> it seems too much complication to me; I'd rather teach users how to
> read programs documentation and how to solve problems instead of
> overly-complicated packaging practice on the developers side.

I understand, and that is a worthy goal in and of itself.

However, even with documentation, the default behaviour is awful. You do
new users a grave disservice. A first time bug reporter without any
guidance from an experienced helper to point them at the doc will likely
just not file a bug at all. It will be an overall negative experience
for them. In time, they may figure it out on their own, either by using
the text interface or by locating the correct doc. But even if they do,
I doubt if it will do much to correct their negative first impressions
of the software.

To sum up, providing a desktop icon to start a program that doesn't
start when you click on it is not in any way a justifiable good default
behaviour, your documentation notwithstanding. I would rather see the
desktop file removed entirely from the package than have it behave this way.

Ben