On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 10:00:12PM +0100, Sandro Tosi wrote:
> Hello Yves-Alexis
>
> On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 12:00 PM, Yves-Alexis Perez <cor...@debian.org> wrote:
> > with the appearance of multiple init systems, it might be helpful to
> > know about the currently running init system in the information
> > collected by reportbug.
> >
> > A quick idea would be to report the result of:
> >
> > readlink /proc/1/exe
> >
> > but that won't work if /proc is mounted with hidepid. I'm unsure about
> > other ways though.
>
> I thought about it a bit, and i'm not sure it's an information every
> bug report should have. I suspect there are few packages which are
> directly impacted by the possible different init system Debian has,
> and it's probably more useful if such packages write a bugscript to
> retrieve the init which is running on the machine and attach it to the
> report.
>
> what do you think?

Well, a *lot* stuff can actually change behavior depending on the init
system, especially during transition time. Especially desktop
environment and stuff handling permissions through policykit and
logind/consolekit, but not only.

If every package starts shipping a bugscript it'll be unmanageable.

Regards,
--
Yves-Alexis Perez