new Philippine Human Rights Reporting Project website at
http://www.rightsreporting.net/

CROSS CAUCASUS JOURNALISM NETWORK. IWPR has launched the website of a unique
Caucasus-wide programme at www.crosscaucasus.net

SAHAR JOURNALISTS’ ASSISTANCE FUND: IWPR is establishing a fund, in honour of
Sahar al-Haideri, to support journalist participants in its training and
reporting programmes around the world.  The Sahar Journalists’ Assistance Fund
will be used to support local journalists in cases of exile or disability, or
to assist their families in case of death in service. To find out more or
donate please go to: http://www.iwpr.net/sahar.html

**** www.iwpr.net
electronic publications at:
http://www.iwpr.net/index.php?apc_state=henh&s=s&m=p

GIVE TO IWPR: IWPR is wholly dependent upon grants and donations. For more
information about how you can support IWPR go to:
http://www.iwpr.net/donate.html

**** www.iwpr.net

KYRGYZ MEDIA REBUFF ALLEGATIONS OF RUMOUR-MONGERING

Journalist called in for questioning over an article suggesting the president
might be unwell.

By IWPR staff in Central Asia

After the Kyrgyz authorities accused the media of spreading misinformation
about President Kurmanbek Bakiev’s recent absence from political life,
journalists hit back, saying it was the government’s fault for being
uncommunicative.

Media-watchers interviewed by IWPR say the dispute is indicative of the poor
relationship between government and the media, and some fear it reflects an
overall decline in freedom of speech.

After the popular Russian-language Central Asia news site Ferghana.ru published
an article on March 18 speculating about whether President Bakiev’s month-long
absence was because he was in poor health, its local representative Sultan
Kanazarov was questioned by officers of the National Security Committee, KNB.

According to an op-ed published later on Ferghana.ru, during the March 26
interrogation, Kanazarov was pressured to disclose sources for the story. KNB
officers reportedly told him that the original article was untrue and had given
rise to speculation about the president’s health.

The Ferghana-ru piece came out two days after Bakiev was due to return from
leave in Germany on March 16. At the time it was published, there were already
rumours going around that he was undergoing medical treatment. In the end, the
president was away for almost a month, between March 3 and 28.

Bakiev’s press office consistently denied the reports that his absence had
anything to do with his health, but on his return, the president gave an
interview in which he revealed that he had in fact undergone a course of
treatment.

In his April 1 op-ed, Ferghana.ru’s chief editor Daniil Kislov wrote, “We
regard the unjustified accusations made against the Ferghana.ru representative…
as a case of open pressure on the media, on journalists and on freedom of
speech.”

He rejected the KNB’s suggestion that Ferghana-ru had spun the story out of
thin air, adding, “It is the silence of officials, the vacuum of information
from the authorities, that has given rise to various rumours about the state of
the president’s health.”

Kanazarov told IWPR that formal charges had not been brought against him or the
news agency.

“If we had broken the law, official charges would have been laid,” he said,
agreeing with Kislov that the problem lay not with the media but with the
dearth of information available from the government and its spokesmen.

When he arrived back in Bishkek, Bakiev told the Moscow newspaper Vremya
Novostey that he did not have to account for his whereabouts, and suggested
that rumours that his health was poor were being spread by the opposition.

After opposition parties failed to win seats in parliament in an election held
in December, some groups set up an informal body called the “Alternative
Parliament”. Others formed a more radical underground Revolutionary Committee,
which called on Bakiev to resign by a deadline of March 24, the anniversary of
the “Tulip Revolution” which brought him and his allies to power in 2005.

Opposition groups are concerned about the implications of the criticism
directed at Ferghana.ru. The Ar-Namys party, for example, issued a statement on
April 1 questioning remarks that Bakiev made at a cabinet meeting, where he
urged law-enforcement agencies to exercise control over the media.

“This statement could be interpreted as an attempt to pressurise the handful of
remaining independent press outlets,” party member Vitaly Iskakov told IWPR.
“We are witnessing a setback not only in freedom of speech, but also in the
democratic principles we had in the Nineties. We are now under a soft
dictatorship – and the media are the first target under dictatorship.”

Ilim Karypbekov, the director of the Media Representative Institute, a
non-government watchdog organisation, takes a different view, saying there is
no reason for the media to panic. He believes the president’s concerns were
specifically about the rumours around his health, but predicted that “strict
action against the media is unlikely to follow”.

Elena Voronin of Interbilim, a support group for local non-government groups,
says the mystery that surrounded Bakiev’s long absence is symptomatic of a
broader problem.

“The information vacuum that appeared during the president’s absence shows that
the government has little trust in its people, and that it is actually afraid
of its people. They are afraid the public will take action if certain
information is released,” she said.

Describing the questioning of Kanazarov as “outrageous”, she said officials
“know no bounds” and are “employing the authoritarian methods of Stalinist
times”.

UZBEK IDENTITY CRISIS IN TAJIKISTAN

Residents of border areas are facing hard choice between citizenship switch and
eviction from their homes for many years.

By IWPR staff in Tajikistan

Uzbek residents of a pocket of northern Tajikistan complain they are being told
either to change citizenship or leave the country.

The map of the area they live in looks so much like a jigsaw puzzle that anyone
could be confused about where they live.

More than 1,000 residents of the Spitamen and Ghonchi districts of Tajikistan
have been told they must decide whether they want to be Tajik or Uzbek
nationals, and that if they choose the latter, they may have to leave.

Ethnic Uzbeks and Tajiks live on both sides of the border so this is not so
much about ethnicity as passports. These people are mainly Uzbeks who ended up
living in Tajikistan following an exchange of territory between the two
republics more than half a century ago. Tajikistan was awarded these lands in
exchange for an area that was flooded when a new hydroelectric power station
was built in the 1940s.

At the time, it did not really matter - everyone was a citizen of the Soviet
Union and borders between the different republics were merely administrative.

After both states became independent in 1991, these communities continued to be
treated as if they were part of Uzbekistan. Many acquired the new Uzbekistan
passports, worked for the public sector there, retired people were paid Uzbek
rather than Tajik state pensions, and they had a secondary school funded by
Tashkent. The Uzbek currency remains in common use here.

The situation is complicated by the fact that this stretch of border has not
been demarcated on the ground, so it is not clear where exactly it runs.

These days, which passport you hold does matter. The two countries have had a
sometimes difficult relationship since independence, and require each other’s
citizens to obtain visas.

Residents say the authorities in Tajikistan told them they must make a
definitive choice – either to become Tajikistan nationals or leave.

One local official, who asked to remain anonymous, said the problem came under
the spotlight during the run-up to the Uzbek presidential election held
December.

He said Tashkent went ahead and opened a polling station for Uzbek nationals in
Spitamen district without submitting a formal request to do so.

“The Uzbeks ignored the fact this was not their territory and did not make an
official request to open a polling station, even though they were supposed to
do this,” he said. “That indicates that they regard this territory as theirs
and they behave accordingly.”

The Tajik authorities responded by banning the use of the polling station,
although they allowed people to cross freely into Uzbekistan to vote there.

Now that the problem was no longer dormant, the provincial authorities for
Soghd region, which includes the areas in question, decided to take action.
Deputy governor Vahob Nabiev visited local communities in February and urged
people to make up their minds about which citizenship they want.

Ilhom Jamolion, who heads the Soghd administration’s press office, said the
suggestion had been phrased in approptiate terms, and represented a genuine bid
to resolve the anomaly between residence and citizenship.

It could not be normal to have a situation where Uzbek nationals had been
living in Tajikistan for the last decade and a half, he said.

“We simply explained to people that they’re free to choose. If they choose
Tajik citizenship, they can remain living here. But if they want to retain
Uzbek citizenship, they should address themselves to officials in Uzbekistan,
and it will be up to them [officials] to think of somewhere for these people to
live,” said Jamolion.

The head of Spitamen district, Habib Saidov, told IWPR the Tajik authorities
were acting legally because the land was theirs.

“We have never forced anybody to acquire our citizenship; we have suggested
that they decide what citizenship they would like to have, since they are
living on our territory,” he said.

He insisted that after the deputy governor met residents, they agreed there was
a problem and promised to make a decision.

Villagers interviewed by IWPR said that in deciding which way to jump, they
were really weighing up the relative economic risks, rather thinking along
political lines. Most people interviewed by IWPR feared losing their Uzbek
wages and pensions, and other benefits such as natural gas and electricity,
which they get when others in Tajikistan go short, especially in winter.

Rahmon Hojakeldiev, the head of a neighbourhood council in the Abdurahmoni Jomi
community noted that Uzbek-national pensioners living there got about 120,000
Uzbek soms (about 100 US dollars) a month, while Tajik passport-holders could
expect the national average of about one tenth of that amount.

Yet Hojakeldiev insisted he and many others there were not planning to take out
Tajik citizenship.

He said officials in Uzbekistan had been telling local people not to worry and
that everything would be sorted out when border demarcation was completed.

“They told us that as soon as the authorities decide on the border, we can stay
if we want to or we can become Uzbek citizens. They told us they’d get
everybody to Uzbekistan and wouldn’t leave anybody behind,” he said.

Yusup Hapkulov, who lives in the same neighbourhood as Hojakeldiev, is one of
the minority who hold Tajik citizenship here. But he too is concerned that his
fellow villagers are being forced into a situation where they must either
accept Tajik nationality or be forced from their homes.

“We have a good life – they [officials] shouldn’t disturb us,” he said.

Jura Yusufi, deputy chief editor of the Varorud newspaper, believes the Soghd
regional government made the right decision.

“I think the Tajik side is right. Citizens of another country who live in a
given country permanently should adopt its citizenship or leave. This is in
line with international rules,” said Yusufi.

Other observers, however, argue that regional governments should take a more
nuanced approach to the situation facing communities divided by
recently-created borders, who wish to maintain family ties and trading links

Analyst Ismoili Sugdi said the problem facing the Uzbek citizens in Tajikistan
is ultimately a product of the longstanding tensions in relations between
Tashkent and Dushanbe, which means they have been unable to agree on border
issues.

“I think only official Dushanbe and Tashkent can solve this issue, so it is
high time for them to sit down at the negotiating table,” said Sugdi.

He argues that people living in border areas could be given the option of
having dual citizenship.

Whatever the solution, Sugdi said things cannot be just allowed to carry on as
they are.

“The current situation is laying the basis for inter-state hatred. Only a
certain group of people benefits, while he ordinary people as a whole suffer,”
he said.

STORY BEHIND THE STORY

BABY TRADE WORRIES TAJIKISTAN

By Salimakhon Vahobzade in Dushanbe

I first learned about baby trafficking in a conversation with my husband’s
relative, who works for the Prosecutor General’s office in Tajikistan. She said
that the trial of a woman who sold her child for 90 US dollars was about to
begin.

Hearing this made me wonder what makes people try and sell their children, and
also how society treats such parents. I called the IWPR office in Dushanbe to
pitch this idea for a story, and they gave me the go-ahead to write it.

It took almost two weeks and a great deal of effort to gather the material for
the report, which was written in the middle of February, when the weather was
unusually cold and transport worked badly.

There was no electricity in our neighbourhood for a week – the transformer
burnt out and we were left without light. Electricity at work was also cut off
from 9 am till 5 pm and I had to go to the IWPR office to type up this
material.

I also had some difficulties in securing interviews for the piece and had to
make use of some of my existing contacts.

I managed to talk to a Supreme Court judge, Larisa Kabilova, who noted that
child-trafficking appeared to be on the rise.

“One gets the impression that selling under-age children has become a kind of
business for some mothers,” she told me.

When researching the story, I also tried to contact many law enforcement and
government officials, international and non-governmental organisations,
representatives from political parties, sociologists, and prominent scientists.
Once contact had been established, I stayed in regular touch with them.

State officials are sometimes less than eager to cooperate with journalists.
They are reluctant to discuss problems the country is experiencing because they
are scared to lose their jobs.

Parliament sources I spoke to asked me not to name them, and I respected their
wishes as being a parliamentarian correspondent, I plan to work with them in
future.

They gave me “friendly” advice not to raise this issue, because “it casts a
shadow on our nation”. “Why do you need this? Do women in other countries not
sell their children? You will insult our ancient nation!” one said.

I wanted to draw parliament members’ attention to the problem of baby
trafficking and convince them to consider giving social support to single
mothers. My research showed that sociologists believe that most mothers are
driven to sell their babies out of poverty and desperation, rather than greed.

However, I failed to secure an interview with anyone from the committee on
women and family affairs.

I got in touch with Colonel Azimjon Ibrohimov, head of the Tajik interior
ministry department that deals with human trafficking, whom I met last year
when writing about deported prostitutes from United Arab Emirates. He agreed to
meet me the next day.

During this interview, the colonel revealed that the number of women selling
their children appeared to be on the increase. The police recorded 13 cases of
human trafficking involving minors last year, while two months into 2008, there
were already six cases.

Ibrohimov also said that while in the past, mostly young mothers tried selling
their babies, now older women were getting involved.

I wanted to speak to someone in charge of an orphanage. However, I had problems
in contacting the director of a particular orphanage in the capital city of
Dushanbe. I tried to get hold of him for almost two days. He was not there when
I visited.

I then decided to try the head doctor at another Dushanbe orphanage that cares
for 60 under-fives - Saodat Nabieva. She kindly agreed to answer my questions.

Nabieva believes that vulnerable women were increasingly attempting to sell
their children as they no longer had the social safety-net they had back in
Soviet times.

The most challenging aspect of the feature was securing interviews with the
traumatized women who were punished for selling their children. Some of the
mothers I approached refused to look at me - they averted their faces and did
not answer my questions. Others wrapped themselves up in their scarves and
cried.

My nephew, a gynecologist, put me in touch with 17-year-old Ravila. For my
work, I encourage all my friends and relatives to report interesting
information to me. The teenager, who was staying in a maternity house, was his
patient.

I traveled to the other part of the city in order to speak with Ravila, when
she came to the doctor’s for her appointment.

I first hear about Rajab and Istad, a couple who remain childless after 21
years of marriage, after Istad came to my work to ask for help in adopting a
child.

Although the couple, who have their own small business, had applied to become
adoptive parents, the childcare authorities in Dushanbe turned them down,
saying they were too poor.

They live in one room in a worker’s hostel and share a bathroom, kitchen and
outside lavatory with other tenants.

Istad conveyed the desperation which many childless parents have to conceive.

“If we could adopt a boy, I would stay at home and look after him and he would
receive all our love and care,” she said.

“If somebody suggested we could buy a baby, we probably wouldn’t say no.”

Salimakhon Vakhobzade is an IWPR contributor and a correspondent of Narodnaya
Gazeta (People’s Newspaper).

**** www.iwpr.net

REPORTING CENTRAL ASIA provides the international community with a unique
insiders' perspective on the region. Using our network of local journalists,
the service publishes news and analysis from across Central Asia on a weekly
basis.

The service forms part of IWPR's Central Asia Project based in Almaty, Bishkek,
Tashkent and London, which supports media development and encourages better
local and international understanding of the region.

IWPR's Reporting Central Asia is supported by the Global Conflict Prevention
Pool of UK government and Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

The opinions expressed in Reporting Central Asia are those of the authors and
do not necessarily represent those of the publication or of IWPR.

REPORTING CENTRAL ASIA: Editor-in-Chief: Anthony Borden; Managing Editor: Yigal
Chazan; Senior Editor: John MacLeod; Central Asia Editor: Saule
Mukhametrakhimova; Programme Director: Kumar Bekbolotov.

IWPR PROJECT DEVELOPMENT AND SUPPORT: Executive Director: Anthony Borden;
Strategy & Assessment Director: Alan Davis; Chief Programme Officer: Mike Day.

**** www.iwpr.net

IWPR builds democracy at the frontlines of conflict and change through the
power of professional journalism. IWPR programs provide intensive hands-on
training, extensive reporting and publishing, and ambitious initiatives to
build the capacity of local media. Supporting peace-building, development and
the rule of law, IWPR gives responsible local media a voice.

Institute for War & Peace Reporting
48 Gray’s Inn Road, London WC1X 8LT, UK
Tel: +44 (0)20 7831 1030  Fax: +44 (0)20 7831 1050

For further details on this project and other information services and media
programmes, go to: www.iwpr.net

ISSN: 1477-7924 Copyright © 2008 The Institute for War & Peace Reporting

**** www.iwpr.net