WELCOME TO IWPR'S REPORTING CENTRAL ASIA, No. 624, August 1, 2010

REBUILDING SOUTHERN KYRGYZSTAN  As authorities pledge reconstruction, some
residents of the south are voting with their feet.  By Timur Toktonaliev,
Isomiddin Ahmedjanov

**** NEW

VACANCIES AVAILABLE: http://iwpr.net/what-we-do/vacancies

**** IWPR RESOURCES

CENTRAL ASIA PROGRAMME HOME: http://www.iwpr.net/programme/central-asia

IWPR COMMENT: IWPR COMMENT: http://iwpr.net/report-news/editorial-comment

BECOME A FAN OF IWPR ON FACEBOOK
http://facebook.com/InstituteforWarandPeaceReporting

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
http://twitter.com/iwpr

**** http://iwpr.net/ **********************************************************

RSS FEEDS: http://iwpr.net/syndication/builder

DONATE TO IWPR: http://iwpr.net/donate

**** http://iwpr.net/ **********************************************************

REBUILDING SOUTHERN KYRGYZSTAN

As authorities pledge reconstruction, some residents of the south are voting
with their feet.

By Timur Toktonaliev, Isomiddin Ahmedjanov

The authorities in Kyrgyzstan say they have a clear plan for rebuilding parts
of Osh and Jalalabad damaged in June’s ethnic violence, but many residents of
the south are quietly leaving either until things settled down or else for good.

Officials say the immediate rebuilding work will take at least two years and
half a million US dollars, while full recovery from the devastation could take
up to a decade.

“We will restore Osh whatever it takes so that people can return to their
homes,” head of state Roza Otunbaeva said on June 18. “We plan to rebuild
everything that has been destroyed.”

Although Kyrgyzstan had suffered intermittent bouts of unrest since mass
demonstrations forced Kurmanbek Bakiev from presidential office in April, few
could have predicted the scale and ferocity of the violence that broke out in
Osh overnight on June 10-11 and spread later to neighbouring Jalalabad and
areas around the two cities.

The government says 330 died in the bloodshed, and 400,000 people were
temporarily displaced. Numerous homes were burned down in deliberate arson
attacks.

At the end of June, the authorities set up a State Agency for the
Reconstruction and Development of Osh and Jalalabad. On a visit to Osh, Deputy
Prime Minister Jantoro Satybaldiev, appointed head of the agency, spelled out
the plans.

First, ten new multi-storey blocks will be built, starting in August, and
apartments there will be offered to public-sector workers such as doctors,
teachers and police who lost homes during the violence.

Satybaldiev said people left homeless would be offered three choices – a flat
in an apartment block, assistance to build a house on a new site, or monetary
compensation.

Osh is a sprawling city, the second largest after the capital Bishkek.
Officially, it has a population of over 240,000, but if outlying suburban areas
are taken into account, this rises to half a million.

Satybaldiev said 70 per cent of city residents live in one-storey houses, often
with no running water.

“These neighbourhoods count as the ‘red zone’ and they are to undergo capital
reconstruction,” he said.

Many of the traditional Uzbek suburban districts known as “mahalla” fit
Satybaldiev’s description. The authorities have been equivocal about what they
will do if people are happy living where they are and do not wish to move away
from their home and community, even for the sake of better-quality housing.

“This is our position: we won’t resettle anyone by force. We will treat
everyone as an individual,” Satybaldiev said. But he added, “If the houses that
have suffered damage are in the ‘red zone’, we’ll propose that the owners
rebuild in a different district.”

Satybaldiev said the main market in Osh should be relocated outside the city
centre, as the current premises were unsanitary.

Jumakadyr Akeneev, an economist and former agriculture minister, told IWPR that
reconstruction was not going to be an easy process.

“Rebuilding will take place gradually, in stages, so as to be able to find the
required funding,” he said.

He predicted that the costs would have a significant effect on the rest of the
country, as the bulk of expenditure would have to be funnelled to the south.

“Kyrgyzstan’s economy will be set back by five years,” he said.

In the south, the economic impact has been more immediate. With around 170
shops, six markets and more than 100 cafes and other sites damaged or destroyed
in Osh alone, the private trade sector has been badly dislocated.

Agriculture in surrounding areas has also been hit. Akeneev said many Uzbek
farmers had to abandon their fields because of the unrest.

“As a result, I estimate that, only 40 per cent of the usual harvest of fruit
and vegetables will be produced,” he said, adding that this was already
apparent in rising prices in north as well as south Kyrgyzstan.

IWPR editor Inga Sikorskaya, who was in Osh during the violence, said there
were no signs of reconstruction going on when she revisited the city last week.
Cafes and restaurants were shut, the normally packed streets around the main
retail market were empty, and the food market was open only three or four hours
a day.

Many residents of Osh are leaving, either in the hope of returning when things
improve, or of settling down somewhere else permanently.

Adilet Azimkanov moved his family to the Kyrgyz capital, and says, “We are
forced to remain in Bishkek with no belongings, with nothing, because we only
had five minutes to pack and get out. It was a totally spur-of-the-moment
decision…. We don’t have any relatives here, so we’re renting a flat and living
off what resources we have.”

Asked about his plans, Azimkanov said, “I don’t know, frankly. It’s the one
question I can’t answer. It’s one thing when things are peaceful and you can
make plans, but it’s quite another when you get swept away by the tide of such
tragic events.”

He said continuing concerns about security were the main reason why the family
was hesitating about going back to Osh.

Samat Bolobaev is still in Osh but is about to leave, the main reason being
worries about his children’s safety.

“They need to start going to school and kindergarten on September 1, and I’m
concerned for them,” he said. “I believe there won’t be many children at
school, as it isn’t just Uzbeks, but also Russians and Kyrgyz, who are leaving.”

Bolobaev said that among his friends, the Uzbeks and Russians were leaving to
settle in Russia, whereas the Kyrgyz were planning to stay away only
temporarily.

He confirmed reports from other observers that Osh was subdued and emptier of
people than usual. Most of the people still going to work were employed in the
public sector, whereas the privately-owned shops and cafes were often shut.

Construction worker Mirzohid said that he was considering going to Russia for a
time as he was running out of money. But he said he would be coming back. “I
have elderly parents here. I need to take care of them when I have money and
other opportunities,” he said.

Hakimjan, who works as a restaurant chef in Osh, said he too would be heading
for Russia. He had been planning to do so anyway as he has relatives there, but
the violence accelerated his decision. The restaurant where he works was
largely undamaged, but business has been slow to pick up.

Salijan, who drives a minibus taxi in the city, said his business had suffered,
too. “I’m transporting fewer passengers, and it’s hit my earnings,” he said.

Timur Toktonaliev and Isomidin Ahmedjanov are IWPR-trained contributors.

This article was produced jointly under two IWPR projects: Building Central
Asian Human Rights Protection & Education Through the Media, funded by the
European Commission; and the Human Rights Reporting, Confidence Building and
Conflict Information Programme, funded by the Foreign Ministry of Norway.

The contents of this article are the sole responsibility of IWPR and can in no
way be taken to reflect the views of either the European Union or the Foreign
Ministry of Norway.

**** http://iwpr.net/ **********************************************************

REPORTING CENTRAL ASIA provides the international community with a unique
insiders' perspective on the region. Using our network of local journalists,
the service publishes news and analysis from across Central Asia on a weekly
basis.

The service forms part of IWPR's Central Asia Project based in Almaty, Bishkek,
Tashkent and London, which supports media development and encourages better
local and international understanding of the region.

IWPR's Reporting Central Asia is supported by the UK Community Fund. The
service is published online in English and Russian.

The opinions expressed in Reporting Central Asia are those of the authors and
do not necessarily represent those of the publication or of IWPR.

REPORTING CENTRAL ASIA: Editor-in-Chief: Anthony Borden; Managing Editor: Yigal
Chazan; Senior Editor and Acting Central Asia Director: John MacLeod; Central
Asia Editor: Saule Mukhametrakhimova.

IWPR PROJECT DEVELOPMENT AND SUPPORT: Executive Director: Anthony Borden; Head
of Programmes: Sam Compton.

**** http://iwpr.net/ **********************************************************

IWPR gives voice to people at the frontlines of conflict, crisis and change.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, IWPR helps people in the world's most challenging
environments have the information they need to drive positive changes in their
lives — holding government to account, demanding constructive solutions,
strengthening civil society and securing human rights. Amid war, dictatorship,
and political transition, IWPR builds the level of public information and
responsible debate. IWPR forges the skills and capacity of local journalism,
strengthens local media institutions and engages with civil society and
governments to ensure that information achieves impact.

IWPR - Europe, 48 Gray’s Inn Road, London WC1X 8LT, UK
Tel: +44 20 7831 1030

IWPR – United States, 1325 G Street, NW, Suite 500, Washington, DC 20005,
United States
Tel: +1 202 449 7717

1515 Broadway, 11th Floor, New York, New York 10036, United States
Tel: +1 212 520 3950

Stichting IWPR Nederland, Eisenhowerlaan 77 K, 2517 KK Den Haag, The Netherlands
Tel: +31 70 338 9016

For further details on this project and other information services and media
programmes, go to: http://iwpr.net/

ISSN: 1477-7924 Copyright © 2009 The Institute for War & Peace Reporting

**** http://iwpr.net/ **********************************************************

This electronic mail message and any attached files are intended solely for the
named recipients and may contain confidential and proprietary business
information of the Institute for War & Peace Reporting (IWPR) and its
affiliates. If you are not the named addressee, you should not disseminate,
distribute or copy this e-mail.

Institute for War & Peace Reporting. 48 Gray's Inn Road, London WC1X 8LT, UK.
Registered with charitable status in the United Kingdom (charity reg. no:
1027201, company reg. no: 2744185); the United States under IRS Section
501(c)(3);  The Netherlands as a charitable foundation; and South Africa under
Section 21.