Costin Manolache wrote:

On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, Nick Chalko wrote:

I'll start the discussion with what John Toohey said.

In both html and xml format

* list of available versions,
* their MD5's,
* dependencies,
* perhpas a
* code for licenses

Html format - I suppose you mean a easy-to-read page describing the package. Good idea.

Easy-to-read,  Yes

XML - please don't invent yet-another DTD and please don't duplicate what is already there.

Our jars should include proper manifests, and if not - we should just
use the same format as the standard manifest. The manifest defines
the MD5, dependencies, version.

There is also the Gump descriptor that includes a lot of info - so
if an XML format is to be used, I think a subset ( or superset ) of this should be used, we already have collected dependency info for all the projects.

Assuming that the manifest has enough info, I think it is worth while to make the information available outside the jar, so it can be
looked at with out downloading a whole jar.

Gump is also a very good starting point.

Nick Chalko                                         Show me the code.
 Ant + autodownloadable build plugins + needed jars autodownload.