[...iterating over it...]

As already suggested by Nick, perhaps the best start would be
to come up with a simple resolution about this lists's mission,
e.g. something like the rationale and scope sections of
http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?PlutoProposal
(of course not in a technical sense just as an outline of a
useful description) or even like a simple form of
http://incubator.apache.org/resolution.html.

This would at least ensure that there is a set of common and
all-agreed goals and/or requirements. Posted on a web-site
this would also help to get other projects / new-comers on
board...

just my 0.02 €

Cheers,
Erik