On Tue, 5 Oct 2004, Mark R. Diggory wrote:

> Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 14:11:03 -0400
> From: Mark R. Diggory <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Henk P. Penning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: md5's

>                 In the opposite direction, individual ownership without
> group write capabilities blocks individuals from "removing" releases
> when it is time for them to be excised.

  I don't think it does.

  If you have write permission on a directory, you can remove any
  file in it, including the files you don't own and can't write.

  On Solaris 'rm' asks first, but you can remove. I can't check
  the situation on minotaur. I assume the same thing goes.

Henk P. Penning, Computer Systems Group       R Uithof CGN-A232  _/ \_
Dept of Computer Science, Utrecht University  T +31 30 253 4106 / \_/ \
Padualaan 14, 3584CH Utrecht, the Netherlands F +31 30 251 3791 \_/ \_/
http://www.cs.uu.nl/staff/henkp.html          M [EMAIL PROTECTED]  \_/