> 1.) just delete any interim builds (they are already archived on
> archive.apache.org)
> 2.) delete and any snapshot symlinks referring to them.
> 3.) delete and sanpshot-version files referring to an interim build.

+1 to these with some questions and additions:

4) document this as policy somewhere and make it known to all PMCs.

5) likewise document use of cvs.apache.org/repository for deploying
SNAPSHOTs to and any archival policy in place on this (is there one?)

- is it ok to add a FAQ to Maven and/or elsewhere advising people how
to get old JARs they've lost (particularly in relation to building
Maven 1.0.x)? I would suggest wording it such that you manually
download them rather than adding it to maven.repo.remote or we'll have
people adding archive.apache.org to their global build properties by
mistake and hitting it all the time. Or is that not a concern if they
are generally only going to be receiving a 304 or 404 response?