Henk P. Penning wrote:

Hm, it would seem the latest sanctioned 'maven' is in

  .. unpacking it shows me

  so the latest sanctioned maven-site-plugin appears to be '1.5.2'.

Or isn't it ?

Possibly, depends on which version maven decided to package, it could be an older version in the repo. I'm not sure this adiquates portrays the issue.

Also, if SNAPSHOT is no different than "LATEST" or "CURRENT", what does "LATEST" or "CURRENT" stand for ?? ( 1, 2, 3 ..)

My point exactly! I look at where its used and I see mixed meanings.

1.) It could be a link to a interim build
2.) It could be a copy of a interim build.
3.) It could be a link to a full release.
4.) It could be a copy to a full release.

Its used by Maven to set dependency resolution to be dynamic, so that if a dependecy deploys a new version (interim or release) to the repository and moves the SNAPSHOT link/copy to point at it, then the project dependency resolves to use it. I don't know how many projects take advantage of it, we've avoided it over time in the Jakarta Commons because its hard to cut a release when its dependent on an interim build that is very different than the previous release.

Henk P. Penning, Computer Systems Group       R Uithof CGN-A232  _/ \_
Dept of Computer Science, Utrecht University  T +31 30 253 4106 / \_/ \
Padualaan 14, 3584CH Utrecht, the Netherlands F +31 30 251 3791 \_/ \_/
http://www.cs.uu.nl/staff/henkp.html          M [EMAIL PROTECTED]  \_/

-- Mark Diggory Open Source Software Developer Apache Jakarta Project http://jakarta.apache.org