> 1. I see that a Maven2 alpha is out: is it still using the Maven1
> repository structure?

News travels fast... I was going to post about that here this morning :)

New repository: http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2/

m2 can use the m1 structure, but by default it uses a new one. I
believe it is almost identical to the one from the wiki (which I can't
seem to find since the wiki was upgraded?), with the omission of
/$type/ in the directory structure.

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/maven-components/maven-artifact/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/artifact/repository/layout/DefaultRepositoryLayout.java?rev=1.8&view=markup

> 3. One question I have is about our policy for longer project names,
> "org.apache.something". I have stub code that replaces that with
> org/apache/something and then looks for the usual
> org/apache/something/jars/artifact[-version][.extension]  afterwards.
> Is this wise or not?

Yes, we've taken that approach, starting with Maven:
http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2/org/apache/maven/

More about the m2 repository:
- all the metadata have been converted to Maven 2's POM format, to the
best of our ability
- new Maven 1.x artifacts still come in through the Maven 1.x
repository, and are automatically converted and synced to /maven2/, so
for example ASF releases will be published automatically

I think that's all. Let me know if you have any questions or issues.

Cheers,
Brett