Brett Porter wrote:

I echo David's sentiments on this. I'd be interested to know what is
in the eclipse metadata you want to attach to the various artifacts in
the repository, and whether any of it coincides with existing metadata
formats in use here, such as the following for parts of jakarta
commons:

http://www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/commons-logging/poms/commons-logging-1.0.4.pom
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/gump/project/jakarta-commons.xml

Its going to be similar, but specific to Eclipse and wrapped up in a Jar
file. More specifically, Eclipse plugins are now based in OSGI standards:

http://www.osgi.org/

To get even more specific plugins require a Manifest file and either of
the following (plugin.xml, fragment.xml, or feature.xml). When Eclipse
becomes fully OSGI standard, all plugins will be distributed as actual
jars whose contents will be accessed using standard java resources,
until then these are not real "jars" and get expanded into eclipses
plugins directory, thus they contain a heterogeneous mix of static
resources, classes and jar archives. The closest thing that I can
compare the entire thing to is a Webapplications WAR file.

I don't think this is a question of a new repository, but rather what
we can do to the existing one to better support what you are trying to
achieve.

Exactly, we'd probably place "WAR"s into our repository, why not OSGI
standard plugins. Someday, in a perfect world, you might actually be
talking about the same exact thing when you refer to a a Jar on the
classpath and a plugin in Maven, Ant, Eclipse, NetBeans ...) then this
becomes ultimately powerful.

-Mark Diggory